Introduction to Housing Inequality/Racial Wealth Gap:
- Housing Segregation and Redlining in America: A Short History | Code Switch | NPR | Available on YouTube
- Explained | Racial Wealth Gap | FULL EPISODE | Netflix | Available on YouTube
Housing Inequality in Detroit:
- Akers, Joshua, and Eric Seymour. “Instrumental exploitation: Predatory property relations at city’s end.” Geoforum 91 (2018): 127-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoforum.2018.02.022
- Bernadette Atuahene & Christopher Berry, Taxed Out: Illegal Property Tax Assessments and the Epidemic of Tax Foreclosures in Detroit, 9 U.C. Irvine L. Rev. 847 (2019). https://scholarship.law.uci.edu/ucilr/vol9/iss4/3
- Julie Cassidy, Detroit: The evolution of a housing crisis. Economic Security, May 7 2019.
- Carl Hedman and Rolf Pendall, Rebuilding and Sustaining Homeownership for African Americans. Urban Institute Southeast Michigan Futures Housing Brief 3. June, 2018.
- Danyelle Solomon, Connor Maxwell, and Abril Castro, Systemic Inequality: Displacement, Exclusion, and Segregation. How America’s Housing System Undermines Wealth Building in Communities of Color. Center for American Progress, Report. Aug 7, 2019.
Housing Real Utopia Advocates:
If you have any questions or comments, please contact WealthInequality@umich.edu.